The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) alerts the tax professionals as well as taxpayers throughout United States about the caution of a new scam regarding the cancellation of their social security number (SSN). According to the IRS, all tax professionals in New York, New Jersey and throughout USA are required to beware of the social security number cancellation scam in which the fraudsters make calls to the victims and threaten them to pay their taxes to them and if they do not pay their taxes, they warn them to cancel or suspend their U.S. Social Security Number (SSN). If you have received such a call or SMS, you do not need to panic as the IRS is already cautioning taxpayers and tax professionals to be careful of such frauds. Consult us for business advisory services in United States to beware of all potential business scams in USA that can lead you to the lethal grip of the IRS.
IRS Response about Social Security Number Scam:
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issued an e-mail to the tax professional and cautioned them not to fall for Social Security Number Scam in USA. According to the e-mail by the IRS,
In the latest twist on a scam related to Social Security numbers, scammers claim to be able to suspend or cancel the victim’s SSN. It’s yet another attempt by con artists to frighten people into returning ‘robocall’ voicemails. Scammers may mention overdue taxes in addition to threatening to cancel the person’s SSN. If taxpayers receive a call threatening to suspend their SSN for an unpaid tax bill, they should just hang up. Make no mistake…it’s a scam.
Not only this, the IRS also mentioned a remember note on its website that, “The IRS doesn’t initiate contact with taxpayers by email to request personal or financial information. This includes any type of electronic communication, such as text messages and social media channels. The IRS does not call taxpayers with threats of lawsuits or arrests.”
With the issuance of the above two notifications by the IRS, it is much clear that the taxpayers should not provide their provide sensitive personal or financial information to anybody on phone calls, SMS or e-mails unless and until they are sure that the caller is a rightful and legitimate authority in the United States. If they have any doubt regarding the caller, they should not respond to any call or SMS. The IRS has already built a page regarding identity theft, fraud & scams to individual & businesses taxpayers in USA to spread more acknowledgement regarding these matters.
How to Report IRS-Related Scams In USA:
- Taxpayers who do not owe any taxes to the government of USA and receives a scam call regarding taxation or any other matter related to the IRS, should report the call, SMS or e-mail to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.
- Furthermore, they can also report the caller ID as well as callback number to the IRS by sending it in mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. For this purpose, please write “IRS Phone Scam” in the subject line of the e-mail.
- The Federal Trade Commission should also be reported regarding the social security number scam call. When doing so, please add “IRS Phone Scam” in the notes to the Federal commission.
How to Prevent Social Security Number Scam:
- Taxpayers who owe any taxes to the IRS or if they think that they owe any taxes can check their tax account information online.
- They can also review their payment options along with viewing the actual amount the taxes they owe to the IRS.
- If you want to know the amount of taxes you owe to the IRS, you can also make call to the IRS at (800) 829-1040.
- You can also make call on the number on the billing notice.
IRS- Legitimate Private Tax Collection Agencies:
- To help the collection tax debts, the IRS has started to use private collection agencies. Regarding this matter, the IRS said that those the debt collection agencies will also never call the tax payers directly to ask for urgent payments by means of any particular payment method, including iTunes gift card, prepaid debit card, or wire transfer, as the IRS does not use any of the stated method of money & funds transfer.
- In addition, the IRS also cautioned the tax professionals that those private debt collection agencies (IRS- legitimate) will never ask taxpayers for making payments to a particular organization or person other than the U.S. Treasury.
- Plus, these agencies do not have the authority to demand the payment of amount of taxes without giving a chance to the taxpayer about appealing for it.
- Not only this, the legitimate IRS private debt collection agencies never threaten the taxpayers to right away bringing in law-enforcement departments e.g. police etc, to arrest taxpayers for not paying the specific taxes.
We provide legal business identification number in USA to various clients. If you are interested in getting your federal and state employer identification number or business tax ID in New York or any other state of USA, you can request call-back and our representative will get back to you within 24 hours.